The Internet is a great way to look for work. It's fast and easy, and it lets you explore local options as well as jobs out of the area (or even out of the country). Click on the links in this section to go directly to the websites listed, or use the search engines listed below to look for additional job-related resources.
Sign up with job-matching services on the Web
These services let you enter your resume online, where prospective employers can view it. Signing up is simple, and lets you easily and quickly widen your job search. Start with CalJOBS, an extensive directory of job listings from the Employment Development Department (both local and statewide), where you can also post your resume online for employers to view.
- Humguide A comprehensive local directory that includes job listings and links to other job sites.
- County of Humboldt A listing of jobs available with the County of Humboldt (the largest employer in the area).
- California Conservation Corps A listing of jobs available with The California Conservation Corps, a workforce development program offering young men and women the chance to serve their state and become employable citizens through life skills training and hard work in environmental conservation, fire protection, and emergency response.
- Humboldt State University A listing of staff, faculty, and administrative jobs at HSU, a large state university located in Arcata.
- College of the Redwoods A listing of staff, faculty, and administrative jobs at College of the Redwoods, a community college located near Eureka.
- Cal State University Positions available with the California State University System
- State Civil Service A listing of State Civil Service jobs and employment information, including online applications.
- Federal Jobs Lists jobs with the federal government, and includes online applications.
- Federal Jobs Digest A large, privately operated listing of federal job information.
- Monster.com Monster.com is one of the leading global online networks for careers.
- Job Bank USA Employment and resume information services.
- Career Magazine A comprehensive listing of job openings, along with job-related articles and a resume bank.
- Career Resource Center A career resource center with an extensive index of other job-related websites.
- CareerBuilder A comprehensive website with job listings, a resume bank, career information, and company profiles.
- Flipdog FlipDog.com presents a comprehensive directory of jobs found on the Web.
- Indeed Indeed.com Lets you search by job title, keyword, and location.
- United States Air Force
- United States Army
- United States Coast Guard
- United States Marines
- United States Navy
- College Grad Job postings, tips on resume preparation, interviews, and salary negotiation for recent college graduates.
- Trade Jobs Online The online employment resource created exclusively for the Building Industry trades.
- Dice.com A comprehensive listing of jobs in high-tech fields nationwide.
Internet Search Engines
Search Engines use keywords to search the entire Internet for relevant websites. Be aware that there are a number of ways to search, and some are better than others. It's best to be as specific as possible to avoid having to sort through thousands of websites. For instance, typing in the keyword "jobs" will pull up every webpage in the world that uses this word (and there are quite a few). But typing in "jobs Humboldt" will only pull up sites that pertain to jobs in Humboldt County. Similarly, if you know you're only interested in working as a teacher, typing in "teaching jobs Humboldt" will narrow your search even further. Keep in mind that most search engines let you search for "exact phrase" or "all words", which are good choices whenever you enter more than one keyword. Happy hunting!