There are many job opportunities that you can develop on your own if you know how and where to look. Here are some ideas:
- Food Service (fast food, pizza parlors, restaurants, donut and ice cream shops)
- Service Stations
- Automobile Lots (washing autos)
- Car Washes
- Construction Sites
- Landscaping Businesses
- Video Stores
- Bowling Alleys
- Shopping Malls
- Movie Theaters
- Golf Courses
- Retail Stores
- Grocery Stores
There are hundreds of job banks out there and many companies that post job announcements and applications right online. You can also post your resume to advertise your skills and abilities to employers. Here is an extensive list of online career websites.
The classified section of the paper continues to be a standard in any job search.
- Times Standard
- Tri-city Weekly, listings from Humboldt's largest classified ad publication
- Humboldt Beacon, current job openings from the Fortuna Area
- Look at your friends, relatives and neighbors as potential employers. They may have a need for a babysitter or someone to do yardwork.
- Make a flyer and distribute it around your neighborhood.
- Let friends and family know that you're looking for a job.
- Tell them what kind of work you hope to find, and why you chose it. Ask if they have heard of any job openings.
- Get the name and phone number of any potential leads.
- If you get a lead, ask your friend what the employer is like.
- Ask your friend if it's okay to use their name and then tell the employer that your friend recommended that you a call.
Internship programs provide practical experience for beginners in an occupation or profession. They are ideal for gaining work experience and getting connected with established professionals.
- Americorps is a youth service program giving hands-on experience through direct community service. Participants may qualify to receive a modest stipend and money for college. Redwood Community Action Agency, 269-2023
- California Conservation Corps is a program aimed at developing youth through work, service, empowerment, and education, Fortuna 725-5106
- Job Corps is a free education and training program that helps young people learn a career, earn a high school diploma or GED, and find and keep a good job.
Volunteering is a fantastic way to gain skills and experience while meeting new people and seeing new places. You also provide a valuable community service when you volunteer.