Youth Labor Laws

To legally work in California, youth must be in possession of the following documents:

  • A California or school ID and
  • Either
    • An original Social Security Card (can be requested from the Social Security Administration office)
    • Or an original or certified copy of your birth certificate (If lost, your parents can request a new one from the Records office in the county where you were born.)
  • Work Permit: the law requires your employer to have one for each employed youth ages 14-17. You can pick a work permit up from your school's office or counselor. Note: if you didn't do well in school recently, the school has the right to refuse giving you a work permit.

There are many laws governing youth labor. These include regulations regarding:

  • School Attendance requirements
  • Wages
  • Hours of Work
  • Minimum ages
  • Prohibited occupations

To find out more about these laws visit: